Firefox 104 Stable, Firefox 102.2 ESR and Firefox 91.13 ESR will be released later today. The releases fix security issues and bugs in Firefox; Firefox 104 Stable includes a handful of new features, including an option to analyze the power consumption of specific websites.
All Firefox channels, including development channels, are updated whenever a new major version of Firefox is released to the Stable channel. Firefox Beta and Developer editions are updated to Firefox 105, and Firefox Nightly is updated to Firefox 106.
Firefox for Android is following stable release versioning, which means it will also be updated to version 104.
- Firefox 91.13 ESR is the last version of Firefox 91. Installs of Firefox 91 will be upgraded to Firefox 102 ESR on September 20, 2022, the next Firefox release day.
- Firefox has a new Power Analysis tool in the Firefox Profiler, which can be used to analyze a website’s power consumption.
- Firefox will automatically limit its user interface when minimized or hidden to improve performance and battery usage.
Download and update Firefox 104
Firefox updates are available the day they are released. Since we release our version reviews early, they may not be available yet.
All Firefox installations can be upgraded through the browser’s built-in update system. To check for updates, select Menu > Help > About Firefox. Firefox displays the installed version on the page and runs a check for updates. The updates found will be downloaded and installed.
Direct downloads are also available, follow the links below to the Mozilla download website to download the new version of the browser.
New features and improvements in Firefox 104.0
To improve the performance and battery of the device Firefox is running on, the browser throttles its user interface whenever minimized or unhidden. The system works the same way background tabs are limited by Firefox to limit battery drain and improve browser and system performance as a whole.
Energy consumption analysis
Firefox users on Apple M1 and Microsoft Windows 11 devices can now use the Firefox Profiler to analyze a website’s power consumption.
Other changes and fixes
- Firefox’s Picture-in-Picture mode now supports subtitles for Disney+.
- The shortcut for pasting unformatted text, Shift-CTRL-V on Windows and Shift-CMD-V on Mac, now works in plain text contexts.
- Bypassing HTTPS-only error pages and then backtracking takes Firefox users back to the original site instead of the error page.
- The highlight color is retained after “typing Enter in the mail composer of Yahoo Mail and Outlook”.
- Firefox supports the methods Array.prototype.findLast(), Array.prototype.findLastIndex(), TypedArray.prototype.findLast() and TypedArray.prototype.findLastIndex()
- The SVGStyleElement.disabled property can be used to disable or enable SVG style elements and to check status.
- Full cookie protection can be controlled with the Cookies Politics.
- Removed security.insecure_field_warning.contextual.enabled preference (not in Firefox 102 ESR)
- Added AddVersionPin policy, which prevents updates to Firefox versions newer than specified.
- Added GoToIntranetSiteForSingleWordEntryInAddressBar policy, which forces direct navigation to the intranet site.
Security updates are revealed after the official release of the web browser. You find the information published here after release.
Firefox 105 will be released on September 20, 2022. Firefox 102.2 ESR will also be released. It will replace Firefox 91.x installations through the Firefox update system.
Firefox extension reviews and news
Recent Firefox news and tips